Some months ago while browsing for some ideas of a bird house, I bumped into a site wherein a bird nest material dispenser was featured. It was something like this: See the link having a very brief post. It was a project I could make and I knew it was needed for our little feathered friends as well, in particular, the tailorbird.
April to August is supposed to be the nesting season for the tailorbird and yesterday I saw this:
I thought this is the right time to provide them some easy pickings for their nesting endeavours. I found a no-longer-in-use bill holder. Bills were pierced through the top of the wire and pushed down to the wooden stand, which is actually a base of my grandfather's trophy which is in the showcase. The base was too big for the rack.
I poked some surgical cotton which I keep in the first-aid box and some thread in the form of cleaning waste cotton [red thing] which is very thready. I thought the birds would like them. This is a beginning experiment.
Since the item was ready, it took no time to install. I hung it around noon on the hibiscus plant where the tailorbirds frequent. And in the evening, I saw the cotton being pulled from different sides! I had later hung it on the curry plant as I could view it clearly from the room window. Usually in the mornings they are more active collecting materials. Let me see if I can catch them on camera, picking [with thanks] cotton.
I now plan to add some coconut fibre and jute thread and do what you saw in the link I gave in the beginning. I will be trying to improvise on this project.
I had already made a post on the nests with images. See it here. [Click]